Monday, September 02, 2013

"145 Days in Space" with Jim Bob

Following on from my recent blogpost "145 Days in Space", we've asked some fantastic authors to let us know what six books they'd take with them if (like astronaut Chris Hadfield) they were sent into space for 145 days. 

Today seems like an appropriate day to reveal our next author's choice of books. 
However he isn't just an author, he is one half of the majestic Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine and solo musician, Jim Bob. 

The reason today is appropriate, is that Jim's just announced news of his first solo album for over four years. "What I think About, When I Think About You" will be available to download soon
He's also announced a one off shop in November at London's Bush Hall (tickets available Friday).

You will, of course be able to see him at The Wood Green Literary Festival before this  on October 13th talking (he may also bring his guitar...) with music journalist and writer Howard Male . (tickets available NOW at just £3).

So what six books would Jim Bob take into space?



Adventures of Wim – Luke Rhinehart
I don't tend to read books more than once and I read this a long time ago but I know I used to always say it was my favourite book of all time, so I'm going to trust my younger self's judgement. It was a sort of sequel to The Dice Man – the memoir of Luke Rhinehart, who until very recently I thought was one of my favourite authors but it turns out it's actually George Cockcroft, who wrote both books. 

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint – Brady Udall
I could have equally picked The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall, which is also an amazing book.

Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
I was obsessed with this book when I first read it. I used to go to jumble sales every Saturday morning looking for a red hunting hat like Holden Caulfield's. I never found one. These days everyone in Hoxton has got one.

The Road – Cormac McCarthy 
It might not help to make my time alone a barrel of laughs. Is there a book called Barrel of Laughs? I'll google it. Yes, there are a few. None of them look as good as 'The Road'.

What is the What? – Dave Eggers
Is it a novel? Is it a biography? Who cares. This book is incredible. Like The Road it's quite exhausting and not a joke fest but it's a fantastic book. 

Hocus Pocus – Kurt Vonnegut
My favourite ending to a book. I'll read this one last, before splashdown.

many thanks to Jim Bob for sharing this. Look out for more "145 Days in Space" soon.

No comments: